Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday, A Day of Rest

The church we're attending meets on Saturday evening. It took a bit of getting used to after almost 30 years of going to church on Sunday morning, but I have to tell you, it's a change that's really growing on me.

As a working gal, Monday thru Friday was consumed by alarm clocks, commutes, work, meals, laundry and getting ready to do it all again the next day. Saturday was filled with errands, grocery shopping, car washing, lawn mowing and whatever else needed doing. That left Sunday. My day of rest was another day of leaving a warm comfortable bed to answer the demands of an alarm, showering, getting dressed and rushing out of the house. So you tell me; in that schedule exactly when was my day of rest?

Don't get me wrong, I love church, and the temptation to sleep late and do nothing all day was never a contender to get me not to go. But now I go to church on Saturday night. It's a wonderful end to a busy week, I look forward to it, there's rarely a rush to get there, no alarms are involved and the best part is... I get to sleep as late as I want on Sunday morning. I can leisurely drink coffee and read, watch a corny Christmas movie in my pajamas or do anything else I want to do... which in my mind makes it a true day of rest.

If you think about it, Jewish tradition starts the Sabbath on Friday evening at sunset preparing them for a day of rest on Saturday. I really think they were on to something. I love my Sundays, they truly are a day of rest now. I also love Saturday night church, it's a good way to end the week and puts me in the right frame of mind to be ready to rest and appreciate it the next day. And an added bonus... all of those misguided folks that say you're going to hell if you don't worship on the true "sabbath" can't point a finger at me any more. Of course there are many more of their rules that I'm sure I am breaking... but that's a whole other issue.

Today, I'm thankful for my leisurely and oh so enjoyable day of rest. I'm grateful for Saturday night service and I love spending my Sundays resting.

No comments:

Post a Comment